Do you have any pet peeves that you want to get off your chest before the new year—you know, wipe the slate clean (so you can start fresh on New Year’s Day)?
Because I do. And let me begin:
Dear Life Coaches:
I may be on your mailing list but chances are I am not a prospect for what you are selling. Because I am OLDER. Older than I look, even. And have my shit together. (ok, maybe not 100%, but for the most part. And that tiny bit that isn’t together doesn’t need a life coach. )
So please do not send me your email blasts with headlines telling me how I should take your workshop or services to solve problems that do not apply to me –that I do not need. It makes me insane! Especially if the email blasts have a lot of exclamation marks!!!! and CAPITAL LETTERS!!!!!!
If you knew me, and some of us ARE acquainted, but if you even took me in, you would know that I am not a prospect. So for sure, email me personally and ask for referrals but DO NOT SEND ME STUFF THAT DOESN’T APPLY TO ME!
And then, when I don’t respond, please do not follow up with me.
Take me in. Know who I am. Because if you did, you would never approach me as a prospective client –but as a referral source. If you really took me in I wouldn’t have to tell you this because you would KNOW.
Dear Facebook Business Friends:
I love you. I do. But please do not use Messenger to send me the following:
* Marketing offers. I will see them on your business page. A Messenger message has never spurred me to buy. It just irritates me.
* Something random asking me to share broadly. Especially if it’s been years since I have heard from you. I DELETE faster than it took you to hit ‘send’.
Political messages. Just no.
Warnings about fake people or fake offers with exhortations to share. First, you should always check stuff with Snope to make sure you aren’t spreading something fake. Second, chances are it’s fake. I never share anything like that so don’t waste the keystrokes. Oh and that applies especially if we do not really know each other.
DO use Messenger to:
* Ask me how I am
* Invite me to lunch or coffee
* Ask me about my products or services. Because you will never get a Messenger message from me promoting my stuff. You can see all that on my page.
* Tell me personally (not in a group blast) about a product you know I am interested in because I have asked you about it or we already do business. I recently made several attempts to purchase product from someone without them getting back in touch about it. But I DID get a group blast from them about something else. Seriously? I deleted that. But I would’ve been a source of ongoing revenue had they followed up with my specific question on the three attempts I made to place an order.
Dear Grocery Stores:
When I check out, do not ask me if I want to donate to (fill in the blank) in a way designed to make me feel guilty if I say no. Why should I donate to you so that you can donate to someone, especially since we do a whole boatload of donating ourselves? I’m sure you look good to these charities. But you’re not donating YOUR funds, you are donating OURS.
Here’s a better way:
Tell me that you will MATCH any donation I make at your store. Now THAT could make me want to give you a donation. A MATCH.
Please don’t take any of this personally (unless you are a retail store, then DO take it personally). It’s mean to help business owners waste less of their and my time and effort and hone your business approach.
And now that I have that off my chest… ommmmm……..and it’s your turn! In the comments, share yours if you like!