I’m always looking for something different and simple to make for company or to contribute to a potluck. Paging through my recipe file, I found a few interesting side dishes, and they were the springboard for a great new recipe of my own. I made this delicious summer salad for a Memorial Day weekend cookout. It’s so easy! You may enjoy it, too. Quantities of everything depend on your taste, so go big or stay small. And be sure to scroll down to see some of the health benefits of beets.
Shopping list for summer salad recipe
Beets (red or gold or both. I used both)
Heirloom tomatoes (or any kind)
- Boil the beets until they are tender. This can take a while, up to an hour, depending on their size.
- Slice the beets and slice the tomatoes.
- Slice the onion thinly, as much as you like.
- Layer on platter.
- Sprinkle crumbled feta over the vegetables.
- Drizzle the balsamic dressing on them.
Ready to eat!
Variation: Tuck basil leaves and mint leaves in between the slices and use extra virgin olive oil and lemon juice, instead of balsamic.
Little-known benefits of beets:
* They’re nature’s Viagra, because of their high levels of boron. Boron has a direct link to the production of sex hormones.
* They cleanse the liver, although I’m never certain what that really means.
* Great vitamins & minerals: potassium, phosphorus, iron; vitamins A, B & C; beta-carotene, beta-cyanine; folic acid; magnesium, fiber
* Low in calories and the high sugar content is released slowly into the bloodstream, unlike other high-sugar foods
* They’re good for mental health because they contain high degrees of betaine, used to treat depression. They also contain tryptophan, a natural relaxant