Breathing releases endorphins, those feel good hormones that calm our minds.
Blood pressure goes down, calming the body from head to toe.
It oygenates entire body, increasing our energy levels.
Breathing is cleansing. Many of our body’s toxins are released through breath.
Rhythmic breathing helps with insomnia as it relaxes the body.
And breathing can connect the body to spirit in wondrous ways.
Here is a breathing exercise you might want to try:
- Sit comfortably, hands on your knees with shoulders relaxed and eyes closed.
- Exhale fully–empty your longs completely.
- Take in a slow, deep breath through your nose.
- Then, exhale slowly–to the count of five–through your nose.
- Pause. Then inhale to the count of five, expanding your tummy.
- Repeat at least five times, more if you can.
My favorite meditation prayer was taught to me years ago. I like to do it while I breathe. Here it is.
Breathe in slowly while you think and feel each line. Pause at the end, then exhale.
Be still and know that I am God.
Be still and know that I am.
Be still and know.